Discussion: View Thread

Educator SEL: Image Inspiration

• 1.  Educator SEL: Image Inspiration

Completed Profile
    Posted 09-09-2020 14:31
    For those enrolled in the Educator SEL program, use this thread to post your Call to Purpose images and share with your peers what the image means to you.

------------------------------
    Amber Woodward
    Edgenuity

• 2.  RE: Educator SEL: Image Inspiration

Posted 09-17-2020 05:43
    Edited by Suzanna Sharkey 09-17-2020 05:44
    This is one of my "call to purpose" images.  The reason I chose this one is that it represents overcoming fear to live my passion and then share that passion with others, especially youth.  When I first started learning to dive it did not go well!  I panicked in the pool and quit the class.  Devastated and bummed, it stayed with me for a long time.  Fast forward about 8 years and a good friend who was an instructor took me back into the pool and helped me gain the courage to try again.  I recruited two other friends (because any venture is made better with friends to bolster you up!) and signed up for a class.  This time...great success!  Part of the difference was the instructor.  He was patient, fun, funny, and showed us how amazing diving could be.  I learned then the importance of attitude when teaching others and that has impacted and improved my abilities as a teacher.  My friends and I got certified and went to Cozumel. I put my face in the ocean for the first time and I was HOOKED!  A year later I was a PADI Dive Instructor!  Fast forward to the present, I now teach SCUBA camps and get young people excited about the ocean and also coordinate local conservation events on the weekends.  My dissertation was even inspired by SCUBA diving (the effects of positive risks....such as SCUBA diving...on negative risk taking behaviors...such as drug use or violence....in adolescents)!  Much of my career was built upon this idea that positive risks can steer kids away from some of those negative ones and that all stemmed from SCUBA diving!  This image reminds me how much I overcame to do something that truly is deep within my soul.  When I get scared to do something, I go back to this image and remember that I can overcome anything and am able to re-connect with what I am on this earth to do.

Suzanna Sharkey
    Edgenuity

• 3.  RE: Educator SEL: Image Inspiration

Completed Profile
    Posted 10 days ago
    Congratulations Suzanna on overcoming your fear!

Amber Woodward
    Edgenuity

• 4.  RE: Educator SEL: Image Inspiration

Posted 10 days ago
    Suzanna, thanks for sharing your inspirational story of courage in overcoming your fears! That's awesome!

Cristy McClenny
    Guthrie Virtual School