Discussion: View Thread

Preventing a burnout

• 1.  Preventing a burnout

Posted 08-04-2020 18:38
    How have you been dealing with burnout? Last year was an unusually difficult one for everyone, but some found themselves exhausted almost all the time. What have you done to unwind and deal with the stresses or plan to do in the coming year? 

------------------------------
    Amber Woodward
    Edgenuity

• 2.  RE: Preventing a burnout

Posted 08-05-2020 04:26
    One of the things to reduce exhaustion has been getting exercise and turning off notifications on my phone. I do not have to be available 24/7. My student's lack of planning does not constitute an emergency for me. That is a really hard lesson to learn though.

Carla Belyea
    Virtual Math, Chemistry, Computers, and CTE Instructor - Part-Time
    Edgenuity

• 3.  RE: Preventing a burnout

Posted 08-13-2020 17:51
    When you turned off the notifications, did you find it hard at first? For me, I'd think in the long run it would be refreshing but right after find it difficult to disconnect.

Amber Woodward
    Edgenuity

• 4.  RE: Preventing a burnout

Posted 08-13-2020 19:55
    Notifications on my phone have always been "turned off" or muted. I hate the constant pings and dings. I didn't really think about how it was really limit setting when I first started, but it does help keep "work" at work and not jumping up to be looked at. The addiction to those notifications is real. Being able to let them go is definitely hard for some people. I have to think about my cell phone as a device that I use to better my life, not just a way for others to get a hold of me. I will get back to someone during my office hours the next day. Nothing should be that urgent to take away from my time with my family and time to recharge.

Carla Belyea
    Virtual Math, Chemistry, Computers, and CTE Instructor - Part-Time
    Edgenuity

• 5.  RE: Preventing a burnout

Posted 08-05-2020 05:14
    I think it is so important to maintain a life outside of work.  We are all dedicated, professional people and love helping others.  But we can't do that if our own batteries are not charged.  For me that means the ocean (SCUBA diving), being with friends and family, playing with my dog, and going to Disney World.  Of course, some of that had to be modified a bit this past year.  For example, Disney World has not been an option with the pandemic so instead I watch some Disney cartoons on Disney + (Frozen II has been a favorite!) and I love the documentaries as well.  SCUBA diving is a great escape for me because it's completely disconnected from the headlines and truly focuses on deep breathing and relaxation.  One thing I want to start doing again is coloring mandalas.  I have a book and some colored pencils ready to go!

Suzanna Sharkey
    Edgenuity

• 6.  RE: Preventing a burnout

Posted 08-13-2020 12:50
    Edited by Janeen Douglas 08-13-2020 12:50
    Hi Suzanna!

I completely agree with you! Work/Life Balance is EVERYTHING! It truly is! As teachers it can be a challenge to unplug but its so important to your success in this profession. I love to color in my adult coloring book as well! And I also have some awesome colored pencils. I never have to sharpen them which is just so awesome! My book is one part of a series of coloring books created by an art therapist called ''Color Me Happy.'' Its so fun and relaxing! Thanks for sharing!

Janeen Douglas
    Edgenuity

• 7.  RE: Preventing a burnout

Posted 08-17-2020 10:52

It is easy to burnout and feel we need to work 24/7.  I have found that getting back to a routine has helped me avoid stress. I  make sure I start my day with getting up  out early and walking at 5 am.  Like I tell my students, I schedule breaks within my day, as it is  not good to be at the computer/desk for 8-10 hours straight.  My husband and I both are at home; we both stop and have lunch together whether it is at home or we leave and go get lunch together. He and I always would  to go to lunch one day a week when we worked in physical buildings.  I also take a break and just go outside and sit for a few minutes.  At the end of my day, I clean up my work area, write  my "to do list" for the next day and close the laptop. Shutting down the computer helps me mentally know I am done for the day and stops the urge to want to log on a "just check a few things". 

Julia Surina
    Virtual Instructor
    Edgenuity

• 8.  RE: Preventing a burnout

Posted 08-18-2020 11:01
    I love the suggestions that everyone has shared to help prevent work overload. Like several of you, I enjoy coloring when I am stuck indoors. I have a small space set up with coloring pencils, markers, gel pens, and books to stimulate creativity. I also enjoy reading fiction and non-fiction. During this time I find it a good idea to remove myself from news and electronics if I want to unwind. My favorite decompression activity is to get some daily exercise in a natural setting by walking or hiking with my husband and dog. I really enjoy being able to watch and appreciate the changes that take place each season. It is an opportunity to be in the present moment and not worry about the next item on a list or what will happen tomorrow.

Joy Mullins
    Virtual Instructor - Part-Time
    Edgenuity

• 9.  RE: Preventing a burnout

Posted 18 days ago
    I try to turn off notifications, but working from home, I feel that I need to be available.  So, it is hard for me to ignore the messages.  But when it is late, I let them wait until morning.  Yes, family time is very important.  My husband and I have 3 dogs and sometimes 2 extra grand puppies when our daughters are visiting.  We also have our first grandbaby, born on Sept 16th.  Family time is precious to me.  I also try to support my educational team.  Through this tough time we all need encouragement.  Most of my family lives in New York.  So it has been really hard not seeing them in person.  Zoom helps, but physically being together is the best.

Loretta DeMatteo
    Marysville School District #25